Last updated on
Explore a myriad of creative bathroom tile ideas that can transform your space from ordinary to extraordinary.
Transforming your bathroom with unique tile designs can be a fun and rewarding project. This article will present you with a plethora of bathroom tile ideas, from classic subway tiles to exotic Moroccan designs, and everything in between.
Whether you’re planning a complete bathroom overhaul or just looking to refresh your space, these ideas will provide you with all the inspiration you need.
The following sections will delve into each style, offering detailed information on color schemes, tile materials, and how to make the most of your bathroom layout.
So, get ready to turn your bathroom into a stylish oasis that complements your home’s aesthetic.
Table of Contents
White Subway Tiles
Subway tiles, ideally white, can add a fresh, clean look to your bathroom. Extremely versatile, this option works well with virtually every décor style, from modern minimalist to farmhouse chic.
These are known for easy-to-install rectangular shapes, typically measuring 3×6 inches. Noteworthy properties include:
- Durability: Usually made of ceramic or porcelain, these tiles can withstand water and humidity, making them perfect for bathroom walls and floors.
- Maintenance: With their glossy finish, any dirt or grime is easily visible and can be cleaned off swiftly.
- Brightness: The reflection of light off the glossy surface helps to amplify natural light, making your bathroom look and feel larger and airier.
- Design Versatility: Can be arranged in variety of patterns such as brick, herringbone or staggered.
- Cost-effective: Highly affordable compared to more exotic tile options.
- Timeless Appeal: A classic design choice, resistant to changing trends, ensuring your bathroom maintains a contemporary look.
Popular for their natural touch, stone mosaics have been adorning sophisticated bathrooms for centuries, adding an exquisite allure. When selecting this material, consider these key points:
- Diverse Patterns: Variety can range from randomly arranged pebble designs to finely detailed geometrical patterns.
- Natural Durability: Stone withstands humidity and heat well, making it a sturdy tile material for bathrooms.
- Rich Texture: Not only visually striking, but its texture also enhances grip, reducing the likelihood of slipping on a wet floor.
- Shade Variation: Stone comes in natural neutrals, earthy greens, cool blues, or warm hues like terracotta, allowing for color-themed customization.
- Two Types: There are polished glossy stones for a shiny finish or tumbled stones for a more rustic, natural look.
Glass Tiles With Seashells
Harnessing the natural beauty of seashells, this type of glass tiles gives a vibrant and coastal feel to your bathroom. Crafting exclusive patterns with seashells encapsulated in clear, glass tiles set your décor apart from traditional styles.
- Coastal Vibe: Evoke a beachfront feel with a mermaid-like splendor, offering a relaxed, soothing ambiance.
- Exclusive Patterns: Shells within offer visual depth, enhancing texture, and design aesthetics.
- Sturdy and Moisture Resistant: Ideal for bathroom settings, with resistance to water and high humidity.
- Diverse Range: Available in various hues and sizes to match different décor and style preferences.
Colored Penny Tiles
When considering a vibrant and unique accent for smaller bathroom areas, colored penny tiles stand out as an attractive option. They bring remarkable detail to design due to their small size, allowing for a dense color concentration that drastically transforms any space.
- Versatility: With numerous colors available, penny tiles allow for the creation of customized patterns and hues according to personal taste.
- Aesthetic Value: Featuring rich tones and a distinctive circular shape, they add texture and depth to a bathroom’s overall design.
- Installation: Due to their small size, these tiles can often be installed easier around curves and corners compared to larger tile formats.
- Cost-Effective: Often, small tiles like these can be less expensive than larger tiles of the same material, making a budget-friendly solution to high-end style.
- Maintenance: They can be easily cleaned and are generally more stain-resistant. Choose glazed tiles for a more robust defense against spills or splatters.
The selection of colored penny tiles can infuse personality and intrigue into an otherwise neutral or minimalist bathroom palette. By manipulating the tile patterns and color choices, one can achieve dramatic or subtle style statements.
Marble Hexagon Tiles
With a rich history dating back to ancient architecture, Marble hexagon tiles never go out of style. Thanks to their six-sided design, they add an unexpected twist to the traditional square and rectangle layout.
- Durability: Marble is a robust natural stone ensuring longevity.
- Unique Pattern: Hexagonal structure breaks the monotony of the usual square tiles.
- Timeless Design: Marble has been used in interiors for centuries, giving it a classic allure.
- Versatility: Appropriate for both floors and walls, marble hexagon tiles can be used throughout the bathroom.
- Easy Maintenance: Regular cleaning and professional sealing keep it in optimal condition.
As versatile as they are stylish, these tiles create a luxurious, modern atmosphere cherished by many homeowners.
Black and White Checkerboard
Championing an enduring aesthetic, this contrasting duo brings a dynamic element to any bathroom. The tile method itself dates back to ancient times, boasting both historical richness and versatility.
- High Contrast: The alternating pattern adds visual interest and prevents monotony.
- Versatility: Functions well within various design schemes; perfect for traditional, retro, or contemporary bathroom interiors.
- Timeless Appeal: This classic tile pattern never goes out of style.
- Amplifies Space: The checkered pattern can make a small bathroom appear larger, due to illusion of extended space.
- Customizable: Variations such as size of tiles, type of material used, or grout color can put a unique twist on this classic.
Applying such tiles can evoke a striking, clean look that stands out and adds character to a bathroom, rivaling the mundane with a design that dares to be different.
Chevron Patterned Tiles
Distinguished by its V-shape pattern, Chevron tiles add a dynamic element to any bathroom. They create a smooth flow of lines that can make a small space appear larger.
Here are some key points to consider:
- Direction: The “V” of Chevron can run horizontal or vertical, depending on your preference.
- Size Variation: From small, delicate designs to larger, statement pieces, Chevron tiles come in a variety of sizes.
- Color Choices: Choose a high contrast for a dramatic effect, or near-matching shades for a subtle vibe.
- Material Options: Whether you prefer porcelain, ceramic, or natural stone, Chevron tiles are available in these materials.
- Pairing: These tiles work well with minimalist, modern decors, but they can also complement classic, vintage styles.
Remember, Chevron tiles are all about creating visual interest and drawing the eye. They naturally lead the gaze upwards if positioned vertically, or across the room if laid horizontally.
Sage Green Subway Tiles
Increasingly popular, these rectangular, glazed tiles offer a fresh and calming aesthetic for bathroom spaces. Their muted hue readily compliments metal accents, wood textures, and a wide range of color palettes, making them a versatile choice.
- 1. Complement a wide color palette: Sage green pairs well with shades of white, beige, and even bold colors.
- 2. Versatility: Works great in a minimalist, rustic, contemporary, or even vintage bathroom theme.
- 3. Create a calming ambiance: The soft hue creates a tranquil, naturalistic environment.
- 4. Highlight fixtures: Mirrors, sinks, and tubs contrast beautifully against this backdrop.
- 5. Easy maintenance: The glazed surface makes the tiles easy to clean and mildly resistant to moisture.
Remember to explore different grout colors too, they can change the whole appearance of the tiles. Picking white, for an understated look, or anthracite, for a bold contrast, can significantly alter the final result.
Wooden-style Porcelain Tiles
These tiles provide a unique blend of the classic elegance of wood and the durability of porcelain. An excellent choice for those looking to introduce a touch of rustic comfort into a modern bathroom while maintaining an easy-to-clean, resistant surface, unaffected by the moist bathroom environment.
- Durability: Porcelain’s resilience outmatches that of standard wooden flooring, making it perfect for high-traffic areas like the bathroom.
- Wood Imitation: With advanced printing technology, a myriad of woods like oak, mahogany, or pine, are realistically replicated on porcelain tiles.
- Easy Maintenance: Resistant to water and stains, these tiles require minimal upkeep.
- Variety: Comes in a plethora of sizes, shapes, and colors, offering customization that can suit a multitude of bathroom styles.
- Environmentally Friendly: By using porcelain, trees are preserved and forests are conserved.
Bold Geometric Patterns
Creating an eye-catching surface isn’t just about color, it’s also about shape. Geometric patterns serve as an effective tool for instantly adding a dash of modern sophistication to any bathroom. They help transform even an otherwise simple-looking decor into an unforgettable visual spectacle.
- Geometry: Patterns include crisp lines, squares, rectangles, triangles. These shapes can be small and subtle or large enough to cover an entire wall.
- Relationship: These shapes are typically interconnected, forming unique and compelling designs that can completely redefine your bathroom’s visual theme.
- Variety: Often, you’ll find patterns composed of just one or two colors, but there’s plenty of scope for multicolored designs too.
- Versatility: The beauty of geometric tiles is that they can be applied not just on the walls, but on the floors and even the ceiling to create different effects.
- Modern appeal: Owing to their abstract nature, geometric tiled surfaces can quickly uplift traditional bathroom settings and lend them a dash of contemporary charm.
A word of advice, while bold patterns can bring your boring bathroom to life, it’s crucial to maintain balance. These patterns can become overwhelming if overdone. So, consider using them as focal points or accents rather than letting them overpower the entire room.
Terra-cotta Square Tiles
As a natural decorative component, Terra-cotta enables a warm and earthy aura in your bathroom. Composed of clay, it boasts a distinctive reddish-brown color that evokes a rustic appeal.
- Durability: Renowned for their robustness, these tiles can withstand high amounts of foot traffic, perfect for a frequently used space like a bathroom.
- Versatility: Terra-cotta tiles pair well with various design themes, from rustic to contemporary, lending a vibrant twist to space.
- Easy maintenance: With a proper seal, Terra-cotta tiles are water-resistant, reducing the chance of water damage, and making cleaning easier.
- Heat Resistance: They do not quickly heat up, ensuring a comfortable underfoot feel in warmer seasons.
- Environmentally Friendly: Being made from natural clay, these tiles are an excellent choice for those keen on eco-friendly materials.
Metallic Gold Accent Tiles
Adding glamour to a bathroom can be as simple as incorporating metallic gold accent tiles. Here’s how:
1. Durability: Gold tiles, often made of porcelain or ceramic, have a long-lasting finish that resists wear and tear.
2. Versatility: They blend well with various color palettes, from monochrome black and white to jewel tones.
3. Different Shapes and Sizes: They come in multiple forms, such as arabesque, subway, and hexagonal shapes, fitting various style themes.
4. Reflective Quality: Their shiny surface reflects light, adding brightness to the bathroom.
5. High-End Look: They give off a luxurious feel, creating an elevated aesthetic.
Remember, less is more when using metallic gold tiles. Incorporating too many can overwhelm the space. Instead, consider using them as an accent, perhaps around a mirror, along a backsplash, or as a shower inlay.
Moroccan-inspired Zellige Tiles
Celebrated for their irregular finish and vibrant, hand-cut compositions, zellige tiles can introduce an eclectic, worldly ambiance to the bathroom.
Here are some key points to consider:
- Origin: Rendered from unrefined white clay, these tiles carry a history that traces back to 10th-century Morocco.
- Artisanal Appeal: Each piece is individually chiseled by hand, contributing to the distinct appeal.
- Color Palette: Available in an array of colors, from earthy neutrals to jewel tones.
- Adaptability: Well-suited for shower walls or as a sink backsplash, tolerating water and steam exposure.
- Maintenance: Requires regular sealing for longevity and stain prevention.
- Installation: The process is akin to laying mosaic tiles, demanding precision to maintain a clean aesthetic.
Pastel Painted Ceramic Tiles
Pastels introduce a soft and calming effect to bathroom surroundings. You can choose a single pale hue, such as blush pink or mint green, for a uniform look, or mix different shades for a subtly vibrant ambiance.
- Pastel Colors: Soft, muted tones create a serene atmosphere.
- Versatility: These tiles blend well with different styles and hardware finishes.
- DIY Painting: Tiles can be purchased pre-painted, or for the more adventurous, a DIY painting project permits personalized color selection.
- Mix and Match: Combining various pastel shades can make a unique design, adding individuality and charm.
- Graduated Tones: Using different tones of the same color can add depth and interest without overpowering the space.
These ceramic tiles make it easy to incorporate subtle colors into the bathing area without making a bold statement. This approach ensures the bathroom remains a place of tranquility and relaxation, given pastel tints’ inherently soothing impact.
Gray Slate Tiles
Gray slate tiles offer a sleek and timeless appeal, suitable for both contemporary and traditional bathroom designs. They’re a versatile choice, with various shades ranging from light silvers to deep charcoals, easily adapting to different color schemes.
These tiles possess strength and durability, being naturally water and stain-resistant, and require minimal maintenance. An earthy aesthetic results from their natural surface texture, creating a rich, tactile experience underfoot.
- Versatility: Complements multiple bathroom styles due to flexible shade range.
- Durability: Low maintenance and longevity make them a practical choice.
- Aesthetics: Natural textures provide an appealing, earthy look.
- Resistance: Water and stain-resistant by nature.
Vintage Floral Design Tiles
Embodying a nostalgic charm, these tiles offer a splash of color and intricate patterns. The intricate blossom designs, usually in pastel hues, offer a retro aesthetic that can easily create a focal point in a bathroom.
Jagged edges of soft pink roses or the delicate brush strokes of lily petals; each tile bears its unique story, transforming your bathroom into a piece of art. The soft, muted tones work impeccably with brass fixtures and vintage furniture, enhancing the overall warmth and nostalgia of the room.
- Offers a retro aesthetic
- Provides unique, intricate designs
- Works well with vintage fixtures and furniture
- Transforms bathroom into a piece of art
- Available in soft, muted tones
Offering a sleek, contemporary charm, these tiles adopt the aesthetics of raw, unpolished concrete. They bring a minimalistic yet chic touch to your bathroom, aligning beautifully with modern, industrial-inspired fixtures.
- Material: Typically made from porcelain, admired for its durability and water resistance.
- Color Palette: Predominantly greys, varying from light to dark. Other tones can include warm beiges and off-whites.
- Finish: Matte, emulating the natural look of concrete but other finishes like gloss or semi-gloss are also available.
- Shapes and Sizes: Available in a wide range, including large format tiles for a seamless look.
- Maintenance: Easy to clean and resistant to stains, an ideal choice for high-traffic bathrooms.
- Styling Tip: Pair these tiles with metallic accents and exposed pipelines to complete the industrial look.
Mismatched Boho-style Tiles
Embracing the bohemian flair, these tiles offer a unique approach to bathroom design. Characterized by multiple patterns, shapes, and intense blending of vibrant colors, they capture an aesthetic that’s appealingly offbeat.
- Variety: A mix of different tiles in terms of shape, size, or design adds character and depth.
- Colors: Mix and match vibrant hues and softer tones, adhering to no strict color scheme.
- Patterns: Layering intricate designs can create an appealing visual chaos.
- Layout: There’s no uniform arrangement – part of the charm lies in the seeming randomness.
- Material: These can range from ceramic to stone, offering even more diversity.
Herringbone Pattern Tiles
The timeless character of the Herringbone pattern emerges from its distinctive V-shape, offering an element of classic sophistication to any bathroom design.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Versatility: From porcelain to marble, any type of tile material can be laid in this elegant pattern.
- Layout: The tiles are aligned to form a V shape, creating a zig-zag pattern that immediately draws the eye.
- Illusion of Space: The pattern inherently directs your view along the lines, providing an illusion of a wider space.
- Atmosphere: Its classic and elegant design brings a sense of sophistication and uniqueness, contributing to a stylish ambiance.
- Placement: It can be employed for both walls and floors, amplifying the design aesthetic of the bathroom.
Remember, while the Herringbone pattern is inherently striking, the right choice of tile color and size can add further depth and drama to your bathroom design.
Nautical-themed tiles are a great way to bring a touch of the beach to your bathroom. Unique in design, these tiles can evoke the tranquil feel of the ocean.
Important features include:
- Colors: Nautical styles often incorporate shades of blue and white, reminiscent of the sea and sand.
- Patterns: For some seaside flair, fish scale tiles or those with maritime motifs like anchors, starfish, or seashells can be used.
- Material: Porcelain or ceramic tiles are commonly used due to their water resistance and durability.
- Texture: Sand-textured tiles can enhance the beachy aesthetic.
Remember, the use of these tiles is not limited to the floors or walls; think about adding them as a backsplash or on the shower walls. When well combined with other elements, nautical tiles can create a stunning, serene maritime atmosphere in your bathroom.